We layered a medium sized baking dish with filo dough and added chicken, chopped borage leaves and shallot in a tasty sauce for our own version of chicken pie.
PREPARE THE SAUCE (Butter, chicken stock, white wine, shallots and flour)
- Add 1 tsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil to a pan and melt.
- Add 2 tablespoons shallot and cook until translucent but not browned.
- Slowly sprinkle 1 tbsp flour over the butter and shallots stirring constantly. and cook, stirring all the time, for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup white wine and 3/4 cup chicken stock and bring to a simmer – cook for about 5 minutes – until lightly thickened.
- Add the 1/4 cup light cream cheese and melt it into the sauce. Add some water if too thick. Once cooked through, remove from heat.
PREPARE THE FILLING
- Toss 2 cups of chopped borage leaves with 3 cups of cooked chopped chicken in a bowl with the sauce. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste.
PREPARE THE PIE LINING
- Line an olive oil-brushed pie plate or baking dish with two layers of filo, brushing each layer lightly with olive oil.
FILL THE PIE AND COVER WITH FILO
- Add one layer of filo on the top, lightly brush with olive oil.
- Creatively scrunch the pastry around the edge over the pie, not over the edge of the baking dish.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the filo is lightly browned.