Let these 'in your face' ginger cookies snap back at you! Lots of ginger and spices leave…
Zucchini Bread with Flax Seed and Dark Chocolate
It’s fun to rev up traditional recipes and this one for zucchini bread gets a health boost from flax seed and olive oil, plus a bitter kick in the zucchini from dark chocolate.
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed plus 6 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups grated fresh, garden zucchini
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice plus the zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 oz. bar of dark chocolate (we used 72% cacao ) roughly chopped into small-medium bits
Hundreds of new flax seed-based products were launched in 2010. Flax seed has high amounts of fiber, omega-3 essential fatty acids and lignans.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, eggs, water, zucchini, lemon juice and zest. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add chocolate bits and fold in.
Let cool in pan before removing. Loosen edges and carefully turn upside down to release the bread. If too hot, or the bottom sticks a bit, the top may break off!
If you like adding flax seed to your recipes is sweet, check out our ginger cookies!