Let these 'in your face' ginger cookies snap back at you! Lots of ginger and spices leave…
Zucchini Bread with Flax Seed and Dark Chocolate
It’s fun to rev up traditional recipes and this one for zucchini bread gets a health boost from flax seed and other natural ingredients, plus a pleasant kick in the zuke from dark chocolate.
When they were little, my daughters loved bringing zucchini to our neighbors. Now that they’re playing sports competitively and growing up fast, they eat it up before I can offer it to our friends. NO COMPLAINTS!
Flax seed has high amounts of fiber, omega-3 essential fatty acids and lignans.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (not packed) plus a little more for sprinkling on top and around the loaf
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, plus 6 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups grated fresh, garden zucchini. Leave the skins on!
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice plus the zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 oz. bar of dark chocolate (we used 72% cacao ) roughly chopped into small-medium bits
TIP: Did you know you can make your own ORGANIC brown sugar? Simply add a tablespoon of organic molasses to every cup of organic sugar and combine with a fork!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugars. In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, eggs, water, zucchini, lemon juice and zest. Mix wet ingredients into dry and fold in chocolate bits. Line two loaf pans with parchment. Lightly sprinkle the bottom of the pan with brown sugar.Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan before removing. Simple lift the parchment up and out of the pan.
If you like this recipe idea, check out our special ginger cookies!